Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Getting Committed


No, I don't mean getting committed to the hospital.  I mean getting asked to join the San Diego Arthritis Foundation Committee.  What does that mean?  Well, to be honest I am not sure.  What I do know is that this "committee" meets once a month and talks about upcoming AF events.  I'm sure there's a lot of planning going on too.  
So, to be completely honest when they asked me I recoiled just a bit.  "What? You want me?  To do what exactly?  Will I have the time?".  All these questions went on in my head but then I thought about it.  There have been so many signs and pushes into this direction.  I truly believe everything happens for a reason. It started quite a while ago when the online AF approached me about writing a blog for their site....which I never did.  Then my doctor mentioned that I should attend different AF events here and there and never went.  Then Alex gets picked by the AF to be their honoree.  Then I get the email asking me to make this commitment.  What if GOD....yes GOD is trying to tell me something....lead me somewhere.  So...I said YES!!!  I will join the committee...ha ha!!  

The way I look at it, being a volunteer benefits them and myself and our family.   When your child suffers from something you feel very alone.  Even though my previous post was all about my support system you still feel like no one truly understands......unless they are going through the same thing.  I need my old friends to keep my life as normal as possible but I also need new ones to make me feel whole.  Over the weekend I had the chance to go to an Arthritis Foundation event.  A symposium focused on Juvenile Arthritis.  There were about 20 families there.  It was so nice to be in a place where I could walk up to just about any of them and talk about our journey and know that they truly understand.  It was so comforting.  

Being part of this committee will enable me to not only raise awareness but hopefully gain some new life long friendships.  Hopefully I can help the foundation with my desire and drive to get the community together and support each other.     So yes please....commit me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your messages!